Signs You Need New Brakes
August 22nd, 2016
It’s easy to take your brakes for granted. The ceramic or semi-metallic material of brake pads wears very, very slowly – it can take 60,000 miles for brakes to wear to the point of needing replacement. When anything changes or wears that gradually, it can be easy to not notice when your brake performance is starting to decline due to wear.
Here are some sure signs of trouble, though:
- Excessive brake pedal travel: the pedal goes much farther toward the floor than it used to before the brakes engage
- Pedal slowly sinks towards the floor while holding the vehicle stopped and in gear
- Longer stopping distances
- Pulsation or vibration that can be felt through brake pedal or steering wheel while braking
- Tendency for one or more w ...